Daisypath Anniversary Years Tickera

Friday, August 28, 2009

Walking Away

The only problems I have really ever had working in the school system with the kids are when I have specifically told someone to do or not do something and they have totally disregarded or ignored me. That has only happened a time or two. One day this week made the third time I think. This time it certainly wasn't on anything major at all but the student just totally walked away after being told to do something he needed to do. The student, when called back with an authoritative voice, (He knew I meant business), continued to walk away. In the past something like this would have really made my blood pressure rise on up. But this time I didn't let it bother me. I just took care of what he needed to do myself, although it was his responsibility. As I was thinking about how that would have upset me a little more in the past, I thought about what he actually did. Then I related it to God. We do Him like that more than we want to think we do. God has something for us to do that we really aren't on board with, so we just walk away. We think it may not be a good idea for us to do it. We think it could be dangerous for us, or get us into trouble somehow. So we just walk away from it. God is there saying, this is what you need to do. How do we respond? But maybe even more importantly, or at least as equally important-How does God respond? Does He respond by doing what I did? Does He come after us calling our name? Do we continue to ignore? Does He get angry? Does His blood pressure rise from the audacity like mine has done in the past? No, He knows that what He is trying to get us to do is what's best. I think it probably makes Him a little sad maybe, that we would walk away from Him. A little sad that we aren't willing to do what He is asking when it will receive God's results. I was a little sad that this student would just blatantly ignore and walk away from me. I care for him and have never done anything against him, yet he walked. How much more does God love me. God! The love he has for us is always there. The longing for us to do what He has called us to do is there. A desire to see us focus on Him, follow Him, and achieve, is there too. All the while we are walking away. See when this happened I knew if this young man would just have done one simple thing, there would have been no problem. He chose instead to make it a problem. I am wondering -- How many problems do we cause ourselves?

3 comments:

Penny said...

Thought provoking! Nothing to add. =)

Avery's Mommy said...

Ditto to Mrs. Penny. So many times we turn and walk away. Shame on us!

Calley said...

man, that is good. You were so patient with that boy. That would have been tough...